Tuesday 3 May 2011

Jobs

A question I'm always asked is "What are you going to do when you finish university?" I've never known the answer to that. My aim in life was to go to a top university, but after that it's just blank. Secretly all I ever wanted was to get married and have children, even before meeting Andrew. To do all of that though you need a good job to be able to afford the lifestyle. So as I'm in my final year I've been applying for jobs all year. The last job application standing just turned me down.

Rejection from jobs hurts a lot, especially when you're through to the final round. I am happy I didn't get it, it means I can have the break I need, a chance to collect my thoughts and find out what I really want to do. My parents are happy too because it means they can look after me for a bit longer, rather than moving away for a job. The reason why I got upset when I opened the email saying I didn't get it wasn't because I had my heart set on the job, but every time I had previously had a rejection I had an Andy to phone and talk to. He quite often had me in tears on the phone, upset over not getting a job that I didn't really want anyway. He always knew the right things to say to me, could cheer me up instantly and was always willing to give me comforting cuddles. He was so proud of me for everything I did, one of the last things we talked about was that I had got through to the final interview for Ocado and he was so happy for me. I wanted to do it for him, but maybe I didn't want it enough because secretly I know I don't want to be sent out to work straight away. He would have been proud of me whatever I did, and happy that I wouldn't be moving away from him again.

When I was younger I always wanted to be a teacher and its always been something at the back of my head that I want to do. I can't see myself being happy as an investment banker or an accountant, or sat behind a desk everyday of my working life. I want to do something where I can make a difference, something rewarding, preferably something easy, but that's not always possible. My other idea is that I've always loved baking and am famed for my brilliant cakes, so setting up a cake shop would be fantastic. But without any money its just a dream - still hoping for that massive lottery win! 

As said in my previous post, I believe everything happens for a reason, so the dream job is still out there, I just need to be patient and keep working at it. At least now I don't have a goal to reach with my degree otherwise I would be out of a job! Trip to the job centre in the summer is in order!

No comments:

Post a Comment